We are a volunteer powered initiative!
Last year, 72 volunteers contributed a combined 1786 hours to the Good Food Box program!
Our volunteers are a diverse and dedicated bunch. Some are students passing through while others have been involved for many years. Prior to the pandemic, we had about 200 volunteers on our annual roster. During lockdown that number necessarily dropped to 4 as we worked to implement additional health and safety measures in alignment with evolving public health restrictions. Read our 2021 Annual Report to learn more about our COVID-safe operations and our efforts to keep our volunteers engaged with some fun, online culinary experiences.
Volunteers often help with a range of activities:
- Sorting and packing the produce on pack day
- Washing the bins
- Delivering Good Food Boxes to neighbourhood Host-Sites on pack day
- Assisting with writing the monthly newsletter
- Contributing recipes, food and cooking tips to the newsletter
Our volunteers have told us that they:
- made new friends while volunteering
- feel more connected to the community
- learned new skills
- look forward to it every month
- feel appreciated for their volunteer efforts
The energy, enthusiasm and commitment each volunteer brings to the GFB program is invaluable. We are grateful for our volunteers!